Do you want to smooth edges in Photoshop for your photo and don’t want anyone to realize that it’s an edited image? In short, do you want to create a magnificently realistic image? Don't worry! We are here to help you out.
There are numerous scenarios in which you can feel a requirement to smooth out the edges of your picture. These could be.
- For the usual editing or retouching of your photo.
- While adding an element to the original image. Here, the picture may get distorted, and you may need to smooth the edges using Photoshop.
- It can help you fine-tune your graphical textures.
- If you have removed an element from an original image, it could leave some strange blurs that would need some work. You can use Photoshop to clean up edges to make your photo more appealing and realistic.
If you are stuck in any of the above scenarios and want to soften edges in Photoshop, read on to learn how you can enhance and refine your original image.
How to Smooth Edges in Photoshop Using Anti-Aliasing?
Even an amateur can smooth the edges like a pro by using an anti-aliasing tool. It is simple to use and understand. Anti-aliasing gently reduces the opacity between the edges and surroundings, making it appear finer and smoother. Go through the below steps to use the anti-aliasing in the right way.
1. First, select any one of the tools mentioned below;
- Lasso Tool
- Polygonal lasso Tool
- Magnetic lasso Tool
- Elliptical Marquee
- Magic Wand Tool
2. Go to Options bar > Check the mark on Anti-Aliasing
3. Select the image or object you want to smooth.
You can use the anti-aliasing tool of Photoshop for smooth lines. With anti-aliasing, you can observe interesting light effects along with clean edges. One of the prime side effects of this method is that in a close inspection, the viewer may find the manipulated image. However, to improve your object edges. You can use feathering in Photoshop. Let's take a look at it.
How to Smooth Edges Using Feathering in Photoshop?
Feathering image is a simple yet efficient way to smooth out the edges of any image. By the feathering method, pixels of borders and surroundings blend harmoniously with each other. One side effect of featuring is the loss of details on the image, but if performed correctly, you are not far from creating a masterpiece. Follow the below steps to refine your edited image.
- Select the marquee tool from the toolbar of Adobe Photoshop and select the objects you would like to feather.
- Follow the action - Select > Modify > feature tool.
- Now comes the fun part. Select the radius field or feather radius. The radius field will determine the range of feathering. It will determine how far away the feathering tool will affect the pixels. If you are unsure about the value of the radius, then you can use anything between 20-30.
How to Smooth Edges Using the Blur Tool?
Using the Blur tool will give the absolute best results, but it requires experienced hands, attention to detail, and proficiency. The blur tool efficiently blurs the edges between two elements in the image. Follow the below steps for using the blur tool.
- Use the Zoom tool to Zoom in the image and survey the edges that are sharp or strange.
- Make a selection of a brush from the toolbar.
- You can adjust the brush size by using keys ] or [.
- Choose the strength of the brush from the drop-down menu. The more the value, the more prominent the changes will be.
- Once you are satisfied with the size and intensity of the brush, you can start running the brush to smooth out the edges of your image.
Editing is a skill that comes with practice. Make sure you practice editing and image modification using Photoshop regularly to hone your skills. Eventually, you will understand better and gain more control over your editing skills.
Enhance Your Editing Skills With Ultimate Skin Retouch Panel for Photoshop
Whether you are a photographer or a professional editor, everyone thrives to be the best at what they do. To become what you yearn to be. You might require the best arsenal of tools for performing smooth edges in Photoshop. Try out the ultimate skin retouch panel for Photoshop. It will level up your editing skills.
The panel featured with astounding, 7 blocks for retouching, four quick methods of retouching, color correction blocks with fabulous 65 presets, 4 tools to dodge and burn, RCB channels, and much more. This professional panel will surely take your photo editing skills to the next level.
Frequently Asked Questions
Q1. How to Fix Blurry Edges in Photoshop?
To fix blur or any other irregularity on your image. Follow the below steps;
1) Use any dummy or sample image of a file type JPEG or TIFF. If you don't have this particular image type, you can use any sample image provided by Photoshop.
2) Hover your cursor over to the filter menu and select sharpen.
3) Here, you will find four different options.
- Sharpen Edges
- Sharpen More
- Unsharp Mask
4) You can use all four tools to fix the blur on your image. Let's explore the shortcomings and strengths of each of these tools.
Sharpen Tool - The sharp tool simply maximizes the contrast among adjacent pixels. This tool is simple to use, but it may not offer control over the image. Yet it's great for beginners.
Sharpen Edges - This tool smoothens the edges of the element or object. It detects the edges by abrupt changes in the pixels. Once applied, it leaves a sharp image, removing your blur.
Sharpen More - Sharpen More tool sharpens the object multiple times.
Unsharp Mask - Using an Unsharp Mask can be complicated, but on perfection, the capabilities of the tools will amaze you. On selection, you will get three sliders on the screen.
- Adjust Sharpness - We use it for adjusting sharpness.
- Radius - As stated above, it determines the range of pixels that will be affected from the center point. The higher the number, the more surrounding pixels will be affected. It's always better to zoom the image to gain more control over the editing.
- Threshold - This slider is for the strength. The more the value, the more the intensity with which the surrounding pixels.
Q2. How to Get Smooth Edges in Photoshop?
Follow the below steps to smooth jagged edges in Photoshop.
1) Gaussian Blur - The Gaussian blur is a filter that smoothens all parts of the image. It’s fairly simple to use to get a smooth selection of images.
2) Brush Tool - Select the brush tool and increase the smoothing percentage according to your needs. If you are not sure, try 10% initially, and then increase the percentage until you are satisfied with the effect.
3) Another effective method of smoothing out the images is a layer mask. Follow the below steps to smooth the image in Photoshop using a layer mask.
- Select the element using the magic wand tool, pen tool, or object selection tool in your workspace of Photoshop.
- If you have perfectly selected the object, remove the background.
- Now select and mask the object. The layer masking the background will automatically disappear from the background.
- Add a background using a paint bucket. You can choose any color of your choice.
- You can use the feathering tool of Photoshop to smooth edges and cut out the irregularities.
- Choose a Global refinement box to make adjustments.
- There will be four sliders - smooth, feather, contrast, and shift edge.
- Adjust all four of them until you get a satisfactory result.
Q3. What is the Best Way to Sharpen Edges Using Photoshop?
With all its complications, using a layer mask is the best way to sharpen an image in Adobe Photoshop.
Q4. How to Reshape Image in Photoshop?
You can reshape an image using the wrap tool. Select an object in the image and drag it to reshape your image in whichever way you want.